Monday 30 May 2011

The taste of summer starting

Now that we have reached the end of May we must be safe from frost. My first tomatoes are out along with courgettes and frisee salad. The mixed leaves I put in earlier are keeping us fed with salads along with rocket and coriander.
This month I've also had my free harvest of elderflowers from the tree in the back garden. My son and I made elderflowers cordial for the second year, modifying last year's recipe which we though too sweet and lemony. So this year we made a litre of sugary water and left 25 heads of flowers in it overnight along with two sliced lemons. In fact busy life intervened and they steeped for two nights but the cordial when diluted still tastes good. We don't bother with acetic acid which should prolong the drink's life. In our house it doesn't hang around long and is our taste of early summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment