Friday 8 April 2011

Time flies

This week spring arrived with a giant leap; blazing sun that would surprise us two months from now, never mind at the start of April. At this time of year and with this sunshine I feel I can't get seeds into the ground fast enough.
We've had to really enjoy the purple-sprouting broccoli because the heat has pushed it close to flowering. How surprising that the flowers are yellow. It's no hardship since it's in season for such a short time and everybody in the family likes it. The plants are
starting to look a bit spindly - the sprouting bits get smaller and the stems a bit tougher. It's getting to be a trade off between enjoying the remains and hankering after the space for something else.
We've also eaten the first of the rocket (and even that is threatening to fl
ower) and some baby spinach leaves. The latter came up really fast but it's worth picking and eating leaves in a salad before they get too big. Rocket and baby spinach, pepper and mild, go really well together.
All these started under a cloche but I have taken that away for now - poor things were sweltering away in there - but I have the plastic handy to go back. It's not unknown for frost and even snow in April.
I have managed to get a few things into the ground. I have some tiny "Arctic King" lettuce seedlings in. They won't mind if it turns cold again. And I have sowed some mixed leaves that have "year round" on the packet. Then, by day three of the sunshine, I really got into my stride and put in some peas "Hurst Green Shaft", beetroot and a new row of rocket. In a pot in the back garden I did basil, coriander and lamb's lettuce.
Lets hope my early enthusiasm isn't damaged by a late frost.

No comments:

Post a Comment